Posted on April 18 2014
Spring is here and with Easter around the corner, which means it is serious carrot season has arrived. We love these carrot muffins and you can easily make them gluten-free (and honestly, we prefer them that way). We also highly recommend using fresh carrots for these treats. Unlike the ones you buy at the store, farm fresh carrots tend to be a bit sweeter (the darker the color, the sweeter the carrot), which is perfect for this recipe. Carrot muffins with coconut whip Makes 10 muffins For the muffins 8 ounces carrots (chopped and peeled) 1 egg 1/3 cup sugar 1/4 cup applesauce 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/4 cup coconut oil 1/2 cup all purpose gluten free blend (or all purpose flour) 1/2 cup whole spelt flour (or oat or whole wheat flour) 1 teaspoon baking powder 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 2 teaspoons cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon salt For the coconut whip can of full fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight a few tablespoons of maple syrup or sifted powdered sugar Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a muffin tin.
- Place carrots in food processor and pulse a few times until they are grated. Add in the egg, sugar, applesauce, vanilla and coconut oil and blend until combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift and mix together together all dry ingredients (flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt).
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry and gently fold together. Don't over mix.
- Scoop batter into the greased muffin tin - approx 1/3 cup batter per muffin.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, use a toothpick to check for doneness. Don't over bake.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- Make the coconut whip by carefully opening the coconut milk can and scooping off the thick solidified part on the top. Don't move or shake the can too much, it's important that the solid and liquid parts stay separate. (save the liquid part for another use). Whisk the solid part vigorously by hand (or in a mixer). Add maple syrup or powdered sugar to make it as sweet as you like. Spoon a dollop on each muffin and sprinkle with a dusting of cinnamon.