Posted on January 25 2012
Chances are, you've heard about CrossFit. More than likely, there's even one in your city. But have you tried it yet? If not, what's stopping you? I've chatted with some amazing coaches to give us the CrossFit 101, everything you will want to know about this challenging and intense workout. For some time while CrossFit had been growing in popularity, I was holding back because I mistook it for some insane type of strength training workout where form is not the priority. After having my share of strength training while competing on the USA Water Polo Team, I guess I wasn't willing to give it a chance. And then I opened my eyes to the phenomena going on around me. We've all got our preconceived notions about things that we're not all too familiar with. But are we able to open ourselves up to the fact that these are indeed preconceived? Luckily I met some pretty awesome folk along the way that helped open my stubborn eyes. Nitty Gritty on CrossFit:
- There's no doubt you'll find your competitive edge during CrossFit. You know that comfort zone of yours? It's about time you get your booty out of it!
- Thought it was only for big dudes? WRONG. You'll be sweating right next to anyone and everyone.
- What type of movements are you doing? Anything that you'd do in your every day life: sit up, sit-down, jump up, jump down, squat, lunge, pull up, push up, climb up, press, lift and then some. You're going to use your entire body, moving in a full range of motion.
- Talk about hard-core! Check out this video … Maybe someday I can jump up from a kneeling position, too!
- Online, CrossFit offers a Workout of the Day (WOD). And in its truest sense, you never know what you're going to get!
- If you look at each location's website, you'll see that each one is unique and essentially its own entity. Though you may find a different vibe at each CrossFit, you'll always get the same nitty gritty awesomeness wherever you go!